05 December 2008

What To Do Now? (or....I'll Just Wait Until Next Year)

For both our retirement plan and individual clients we are getting a lot of the same type of questions: "What should I do now?", and "Can we talk next year...?". Obviously as we get closer to the holidays work can become even more hectic (not to mention that pesky holiday shopping). It is important to remember, though, that the market does not take this time off. Historically, December, and early January, has been a strong month for stocks (the so-called "Santa Claus" rally), so it may not be wise to ignore your portfolio.

After the last few months gut-wrenching losses, many clients have inquired about switching to cash "until this works itself out". Well, I'm not even sure what "this" is, let alone when it will "work itself out". As I've written before, we always recommend sticking to a well-defined investment strategy. Yes, there will be times when it will be challenging, but in the long-run I believe this is the best course of action.

And who knows, maybe Santa Claus will come early this year, and stick around a little longer.... we can all hope, and with solid investment advice you can be well-positioned if it happens.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll see this year, but my guess is we won't see a rally until after Obama gets in office, and announces some new initiatives. Though I guess if I'm right, getting in now wouldn't be so bad.......